Ameerah’s Sweet 16
I love parties, I love planning parties, I love attending parties… what can I say, I’m a party animal!
I’ve always celebrated Ameerah’s birthday’s with gusto, I usually start 2 months before the date. First we discuss the theme, next the guest list.
I proceed to get my mood board underway with all the decor details noted.
My favourite party was her 10th birthday, we did a colour run theme. The kids were kitted out in all whites, we played with non toxic holi powder, which I ordered online. The kids had a blast as did we.
Of course I couldn’t wait for her ‘Sweet 16’, I knew from the day she was born it was going to be a grand affair 😉
The first person I contact after I confirm my event date is usually Nadia (Fab functions by Nadia), Nadia gets me, we operate on the same wave length.
She is amazing with blooms, and her attention to detail is unsurpassed.
Initially Ameerah wanted an Arabian nights theme, I’m glad she changed it to a ‘Red Carpet” or more like ‘Pink Carpet’ theme. The night turned out to be all sorts of Hollywood Glam.
Pretty in pink was my motto for the event, I sourced the most gorgeous furniture from Vanessa (Events by Vanessa), she went above and beyond for me. She sourced the rose gold stanchions as well as the pink ropes. I mean Hollywood will not be same without it.
Ameerah was very clear that she didn’t want flowers…. Gosh, I LOVE flowers!!!
We settled on the balloon cascade backdrop, Aisha (Balloon Boutique SA) did an amazing job.
I must admit I did pressurise her in some way, emphasising that this would be the main feature. She delivered! The backdrop with the Marquee numbers (hired from Event bliss SA) was fabulous.
It’s all in the details, from menus to goodie bags to the Oscar statues, Elsa at 4 keepsakes is my go to for party details. We did round menus with gold glitter Oscar details, star shaped name tags and she helped me with the neon light signage which was a HIT. My Instagram DM’s haven’t stopped with enquiries about how and where I got the neon signed made. It was a DIY that cost less than R500.
I wanted an unusual table setting, not the same gold cutlery as always and the plates too. I contacted Corinne (SQ Weddings) she has a full range of The Chairman Home cutlery as well as Nicolson Russell crockery. These create a sophisticated yet modern place setting. I finished it off with a pink velvet napkin, tied in a bow, they are a bunch of 16 yr olds after all. It had to be age appropriate.
She said no flowers!
I was never one to carry out orders, let alone listen to my 16yr old daughter :0
We had flowers on the table setting, Nadia did the arrangements in different heights.
I visited Alsmeer at the Flower Market in City Deep on Thursday to collect my order and add a few more blooms. I prefer going in to choose them. I find they don’t select the freshest flowers when packing orders.
My standard selection:
Peonies (when in season)
I’m an Anthophile, I must have flowers, always and always!
Feeding 16 yr olds is relatively easy, we had sushi from The Big Mouth (everyone’s favourite) and meze from Olives and Plates (easy to eat). For dessert, a selection of gelato from Gelato Studio, the girls could walk around and dance with their gelato no need for bowls and spoons. Maverick and Jane set up a live popcorn popper personalised with the party logo as well as a selection of gourmet popcorn. I contacted Krispy Kreme, to have the donuts customised, they need just 36 hr ahead to get the order ready. I sent them my inspo, supplied the gold leaf, rose buds and rose petals. It was not your average the donut wall. I hired the donut wall from Event Bliss, the day before the event they contacted me to say the wall was damaged by the previous client, Eeeek! I originally wanted the free standing donut wall, but had to settle for the tabletop stands.
Tips for successful party planning.
- Book your venue.
- Budget, what budget? Lol, jokes aside, it’s easy to get carried away with party planning. When you get started you can’t seem to stop with the details. At some point you just have to say enough, I’m not spending another cent.
- Decide on a theme (this can change along the way 😉 )
- Book your photographer, if you don’t have fabulous photo’s, it didn’t happen! Our go to photographer is Trisha Jivan. She is THE BOMB.COM
- Contact your event planner, and keep in contact as your ideas pop in your head! Sorry Nadia…
- Design/decide on a fabulous backdrop or feature, this will be a place where your photos will be taken and also the centre stage of your event.
- Start on your details, get a mood board going. I troll through Pinterest and Instagram looking for inspo.
- Tables and chairs, there are tons of options, I find this a wonderful way to add a little classy touch to your event.
- What sort of cutlery and crockery will you have? Napkins? Tablecloths?
- Menu? Decide on the menu so you can get your menu printed and designed.
- Party favours, yes or no? I always give party favours, its a little token from me to say thank you for attending as well as thank you for the gift.
- Entertainment? for the sweet 16th I hired a DJ, the girls had a blast. For my birthday party a few years back, I hired a company that specialised in lawn games. I had croquette, archery and bowls.
- I’m a hands-on person, I need to be at the event at set-up to ensure it’s as I visioned.
The best in the business, IMHO.
Nadia Fab Functions By Nadia 0846029593
Vanessa Events by Vanessa 0838992359
Corinne SQ Weddings 0827884568 ‘I pay a lot of attention to detail. The cutlery & crockery truly give me the sense that someone has paid meticulous attention to what one would experience at an event from an experiential (taste, smell, touch, see) perspective hence the decision to add the hiring of these bespoke items to my service offering.’
Balloon Boutique SA Ayesha 0784109086
Event Bliss Zoe 0736338839